Integration Of Crosscutting Issues In The Curricula
Since inception, Yenepoya (Deemed to be University) realizing the relevance of Gender, Environment and Sustainability, Human Values, Health Determinants, Right to Health Issues, Emerging demographic changes and Professional Ethics has integrated these aspects in the curricula of all its programs across faculties of study.
- These are broadly addressed through relevant courses in the curricula. In addition, value-added courses and special programs are offered by the University to sensitize students on gender issues.
- The University has adopted the Prevention of sexual harassment Guidelines of UGC.
- The gender sensitization cell of the University regularly organizes programmes on gender sensitization, workshops, quizzes, safety awareness programs, International women’s day, women achievers award and also identified Gender Champions
- Self-defense training programmes are organized for the female students and faculty
- The students are integral part of Anti Ragging Committee, Gender sensitization and Grievance redressal cell
- The Centre for Environmental studies imparts training on environmental science to all students
- Students are exposed to the multidisciplinary nature of environmental studies, ecosystem, renewable and non-renewable resources, waste management, environmental pollution, environmental policies, and practices
- The University has developed a module on Environmental Studies for Undergraduate students as part of the curriculum
- The University has adopted Deeksharambh- A Student Induction Programme and MulyaPravah of the UGC Quality Mandate for acquiring insight into the above issues based on the SAGE Principles (Socializing, Associating, Governing and Experiencing).
Health Determinants, Right to Health Issues, Emerging Demographic Changes
- These aspects of learning are an integral part of the curriculum of the programs oriented towards community engagement.
- Students get hands-on experience through field visits to the adopted families, villages and institutes of public health importance
- Additions were made to the syllabi to cater to the emerging social and medical challenges and change in health determinants brought about by the pandemic
Professionalism Ethics and Humanities
- The AETCOM module (Attitude, Ethics, and Communication) sensitizes and trains the students in ethics, professionalism, communication skills, empathy and professional etiquettes
- Modules on ethics are part of curricula. Centre for Ethics of the University offers programs and value-added courses in Ethics
- Certificate courses are also offered in music therapy and palliative care to the students
Social Responsiveness and Rural Orientation
- The NSS units of the University has the distinction of having received the Best performing Unit by the Government of Karnataka for successfully implementing innovative programme on cancer awareness and prevention in coastalKarnataka, which is adopted as a model throughout the state
- Training of ASHA and Anganwadi workers of Udupi district on prevention and control of common cancers was conducted by involving a team of inter-disciplinary health care providers and students as a part of social accountability
- Students actively participate in Swachh Bharath Abhiyan and health awareness programs
University has undertaken family and village adoption schemes to inculcate social responsiveness among the students as a part ofUGC quality mandate (Social responsiveness and Community engagement) and Unnat Bharath Abhiyan.