Yenepoya Medical College Hospital (YMCH) started Medical Social Work (MSW) Unit in 2003 and in 2008 Yenepoya (Deemed to be University) considered it as a full pledged department. Department of Medical Social Work (MSW) is involved in academic and welfare programmes. MSW Department works mainly in the areas of education, training, research, patient welfare, health outreach and networking. The department has started post graduate programme in Social Work (Master of Social Work) during the academic year 2014 to make students self-reliant and to prepare them for professional practice in the field by moulding their overall personality. The department of MSW seeks to develop competent specialized social work practitioners who can integrate the knowledge, values and skills of social work in order to enhance the social functioning of individuals, groups and communities. This department is committed to excellence in teaching and to integrate practice to facilitate community and student’s development as well.
VISION OF THE DEPARTMENT
Achieving excellence in social work education, research and service.
To train highly competent cadre of social work professionals to become change agents in realizing inclusive development goal in the society.
- To provide students with knowledge and skills needed for Social Work practice in varied settings within local and international contexts.
- To equip students with basic competencies needed to work with individuals, families, groups and communities to help them to manage their daily lives, cope with and address issues that impede their progress.
- To develop practical skills needed to assist people identify and develop their potentials and change their environment through self-help, advocacy and by influencing social policy.
- To inculcate in students the social work ethical principles that seek to protect beneficiaries of social work services, ensure professionalism in dealing with clients and the wider society, safeguard the integrity of the profession and ensure provision of quality services to recipients.
- To collaborate with public and private sector social service organizations to prepare competent social work practitioners and scholars who will contribute to the wellbeing of humanity.
- To develop an integrated, responsive and viable system to respond to the health and well being of patients.
- To facilitate community oriented health care and development of human resources.
- To apply and adopt the philosophy, values and methods of social work in the field of health care services.
Activities of the department at a glance
ISR Outreach Activities